More sub catagories:

  • Abhainn Dearg

    The Spirit of Lewis
    Established 2008
  • Kininvie


  • Port Askaig


  • Aberfeldy

    History: Opened in 1898, because the owner, John Dewar, wanted to contribute his own Single Malt for his blend. 1917-1919 short-term closing due to the war, after that sold various times, rebuilt and enlarged in 1972, finally bought by Diageo in 1998. Still one of the main contents of Dewar's Blend. New visitor center "Dewar's World of Whisky" opened in 2000.
    Character: fruity, strong, a hint of wood aromas; long, intense finish
    Status: active
  • Aberlour

    History: Founded in 1826, rebuilt 1879 after a fire; yet another rebuilt in 1898 after a second fire. Following were a few sales of the distillery, which is currently in the ownership of Pernod Ricard, where it has been since 1975. Shorty prior, namely 1973, it had been completely renovated and extended by 2 new stills. Finally, 2001, Aberlour opened a new visitor center at the distillery.
    Character: soft, caramel-like, nuts, nutmeg
    Status: active
  • Allt A Bhainne


  • Ardbeg

    History: Records of a distillery at "Ardbeg", run by smugglers, date back to the year 1794. In 1815, the MacDougall family opened the first official Ardbeg distillery and successfully ran it till 1959, when "Ardbeg Distillery Ltd" was founded. 1977 Ardbeg was sold to Hiram Walker, who had to close down in 1981. 1989 the distillery was bought by United Distillers, who did not succeed in staying in business either and closed down in 1996. 1997, Glenmorangie plc took over and are still successfully running the distillery, which in 1998 was enhanced by a new visitor center.
    Character: Supposedly uses the "most heavily peated malt in Scotland", earthy and smoky aromas
    Status: active
  • Ardmore


  • Arran

    History: The only distillery on the Isle of Arran opened in 1995 and is therefor the youngest distillery in the whole of Scotland.  It is the only legal distillery on the island for more than 150 years. The distillery's owners hope to establish it as a must-see when visiting the island, and to revive the old whisky-making tradition in the Isle of Arran.
    Character: fruity, tastes of vanilla
    Status: active
  • Auchentoshan

    History: The Auchentoshan distillery was founded in 1823. After 1960, it was sold 2 times and 1974 it was completely modernized by its current owners. 1994 it was bought by the japanese Suntory company, who enjoys the reputation of fastidiously keeping it in a good condition. The distillery is especially notable for its unconventional and unique destillation process: They employ a triple destillation process instead of the, for a Single Malt, usual 2 times.
    Character: soft, fresh, strong citrus character
    Status: active
  • Auchroisk


  • Aultmore


  • Balblair


  • Balmenach


  • Balvenie

    History: The Balvenie distillery was built in 1892 alongside its "sister distillery" Glenfiddich by W. Grant & Sons. It is one of the few remaining independent family distilleries who have never been sold during their existence.
    Character: strong honey and vanilla
    Status: active
  • Banff


  • Ben Nevis

    History: Founded in 1825 by "Long John" McDonald, sold to Joseph Hobbes in 1955, who installed new stills to be able to simultaneously produce Malt and Grain Whisky. 1989 sold to the japanese Nikka company, who in 1990 took up the production of Malt Whisky at Ben Nevis, but neglected its Grain-producing capabilities.
    Character: fresh, soft, caramel, tropical fruits
    Status: active
  • Benriach

    History: In 1898 the Brenriach distillery was founded alongside the Longmorn distillery by the Grant family. The timing subsequently proved suboptimal due to a crash in the whisky industry, which resulted in the distillery staying closed from 1900 to 1965, when it was eventually bought by Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. 1972 Benriach started to produce a peated malt alongside their regular whisky production. In 1985, the destillery was enhanced to further increase their production capabilities; however, in 2002, they had to close down, then run by Pernod Ricard. Finally, in 2004, the distillery was bought by an independent consortium and, since then, production runs uninterupted.
    Character: fresh, caramel-like, hints of fruits
    Status: active
  • Benrinnes


  • Benromach


  • Bladnoch


  • Blair Athol

    History: First mentions dating back as far as 1798. They had to close down in 1932, but were bought the following year by Arthur Bell & Sons, who re-comenced production in 1949 after lengthy renovations and modernizations. A main component of "Bell's" Blend
    Character: aromatic, spicy, wood, liquorice
  • Blairmhor


  • Blended

    A blend is a mixture of different Malt and Grain Whiskies. A base gets mixed with up to 50 other whiskies, so that the blender can insure equal taste and quality throughout the years. After the blending, the resulting blend stays in a cask to allow the different aromas to unite.
  • Bowmore

    History: Bowmore was one of the first legal distilleries on Islay, dating back to the year 1779. After numerous sales, Bowmore finally went to Stanley P. Morrison in 1963 who, in turn, was bought by Suntory in 1994. The distillery is one of the few which still operate their own floor maltings.
    Character: tropcial fruits, peaty, spicy
    Status: active
  • Braes of Glenlivet


  • Brora

    History: What is today known as the Brora distillery was originally built in 1819 as Clynelish distillery. However, in 1968, Clynelish moved to a new, bigger distillery nearby, leaving the old one closed. In 1969 however, Port Ellen distillery from Islay took over and renamed it to Brora. At first they produced heavily peated Islay Style whisky mainly dedicated for the use in Blends, but later moved on to a less peaty Highland Style. In 1983 they had to close down.
    Character: peaty, smoky, peppery
    Status: closed since 1983
  • Bruichladdich

    History: The Bruichladdich distillery was founded in 1881 by the Harvey family, who extensively rebuilt it in 1886 and founded Bruichladdich Distillery Co. From 1929 to 1937 the production was mothballed, afterwards it was sold various times. 1995 Bruichladdich was again closed down until in 2000 it was bought by a few private entrepreneurs. Bruichladdich is famed for still working with traditional techniques, having fastidiously restored the original equipment and employing all the traditional techniques without the aid of a computer. It is also one of the few distilleries which is completely owned by private individuals.
    Character: fruity, fresh, light
    Status: active
  • Bunnahabhain

    History: Founded 1881, 1887 fusion with W. Grant & Co to form Highland Distillers Co Ltd. Sold and closed down various times in times of crisis, finally sold to Burn Steward in 2003. Component of Famous Grouse and Black Bottle Blends.
    Character: lots of Sherry, distinguished sweetness
    Status: active
  • Caol Ila

    History: Caol Ila (Sound of Islay) was built in 1846 by Hector Henderson. IT was sold various times and renewed and expanded in 1879. From 1930 to 1937 there was a standstill in production. In 1974 the distillery was completely rebuilt and expanded from 2 to 6 stills.
    Character: peaty, apple
    Status: active
  • Caperdonich


  • Cardhu

    History: The first legal "Cardow" distillery was founded in 1824 by John Cumming, who allegedly ran an illegal distillery in the same spot for more than a decade at that time. The distillery remained in possession of the Cumming family until it was bought by John Walker & Sons in 1893, when the new owners changed the name from Cardow to Cardhu, which had a better resemblance with the pronunciation of the Gaelic "Cardow" ("Black Rock"). In 2002 Cardhu changed its production from Single to Vatted Malt which caused major resistance in the whisky scene, thus "forcing" Cardhu to reboot their Single Malt production in 2005 with a 12 yo.
    Character: caramel-like, light
    Status: active
  • Clynelish

    History: Clynelish was founded in 1819 by the Marquis of Stafford. It was sold numerous times, amongst others to John Walker & Sons, until it finally landed in the hands of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd., who, in 1969, built a new Clynelish distillery. The old distillery recommenced production in 1975 under the name of Brora.
    Character: strong, oily, fruity
    Status: active
  • Coleburn


  • Convalmore


  • Cragganmore

    History: Cragganmore was founded in 1869/70 by John Smitz, the owner of the Ballindalloch and Glenfarclas distilleries. It was fitted with electric lighting in 1917/1918 and 1964 it was expanded to 4 stills. One of the "Classic Malts of Scotland".
    Character: dry, wood, herbs
    Status: active
  • Craigellachie


  • Dailuaine

    Dailuaine
  • Dallas Dhu

    History: Dallas Dhu opened in 1899 and thus was the last Scotch distillery to have opened in the 19th century. It was one of the first distilleries fitted with a Pagoda-style roof, which was designed to optimize the air flow. Dallas Dhu closed down in 1983, but was reopened as a landmark by the scottish authorities - although without any destillation taking place.
    Character: peaty, fruity
    Status: closed
  • Dalmore

    History: The Dalmore distillery was founded in 1839 by the Mackenzie family. It was the first Single Malt to be exported to Australia in 1870. In 1874 and 1966, the number of stills was doubled, making a total of 8. The stag emblem dates as far back as the year 1263, when an ancestor of the founding family rescued King Alexander III from a wild stag. The grateful king thanked him by allowing him to bear a "royal" stag, a twelve pointer, in his coat of arms.
    Character: voluminous, Sherry, dry
    Status: active
  • Dalwhinnie

    History: Founded in 1897 as "Strathspey", the distillery quickly was sold the following year and the name changed to Dalwhinnie, which is the highest-located distillery in Scotland (326m). 1934 it burned down, reopened in 1938 and underwent complete refurbishment in 1986 and 1992. It is one of the few bigger distilleries still using only 2 stills.
    Character: malty, honey, fruity
    Status: active
  • Deanston

    History: The distillery is located in an old cotton mill, which was renovated in 1965 and converted into a distillery. 1971 it released its first Single Malt under the name of "Old Bannockburn"; 1972 the first "Deanston" was released. From 1982 to 1991 the production was mothballed, until it recommenced under their new owners. The distillery uses water turbines to create its own electricity.
    Character: oily, sweet
    Status: active
  • Various Malts


  • Drumguish

    History: In Kingussie, Speyside. First production in 1895, closed down in 1911. 1962 decision to build a new distillery at the historic spot and reestablish the brand. Lots of problems on the way, finally went into business in 1990 under the name "The Speyside Distillery".
    Taste: sweet, nut aromas, a hint of peat
    Status: Active
  • Dufftown-Glenlivet

    History: The Dufftown distillery, named after the city where it's located, was founded in 1896 as Dufftown-Glenlivet within the buildings of an old mill. It was expanded various times and today is one of Diageo's biggest distilleries, whilst keeping a relatively low profile - most of their production goes into the "Bell's" blend. Current bottlings run under the name Singleton.
    Character: dry, malty, liquorice
    Status: active
  • Edradour

    History: Edradour, the smallest official distillery with a production only 90,000 liters of pure alcohol per year, was founded in 1826 by an initiative of farmers from the village of Edradour. They still work with historic instruments and it is the last remaining traditional farm distillery in Perthshire.
    Character: minty, sour, wine-like
    Status: active
  • Fettercairn

    Geschichte: Fettercairn was founded in 1824 and is one of the oldest licensed distilleries in Scotland. It burned down in 1887, was rebuilt until 1890 and has run undisturbed since then, except for a pause between 1926 and 1939. 1966 it was expanded from 2 to 4 stills and today belongs to the Whyte & Mackay group of distillers.
    Character: fruity, smoky
    Status: active
  • Glen Albyn


  • Glen Avon


  • Glen Deveron

    History: Glen Deveron / Macduff (both names are used for the whiskies as well as the distillery) is a relatively young distillery, founded in the 1960ies. It is located at Macduff, at the border of the Speyside region.
    Character: malty, wood
    Status: active
  • Glen Elgin

    History: Glen Elgin was founded in 1898 by the former manager of Glenfarclas, William Simpson, and a partner. It was sold a number of times and finally expanded in 1964 from 2 to 6 stills. One of the main components of White Horse Blend.
    Character: caramel, honey, fruity
    Status: active
  • Glen Flagler


  • Glen Garioch

    History: Glen Garioch was one of the first licensed distilleries in Scotland, founded in 1797. It is one of the few distilleries which have not been sold very often, in fact, the first time it was sold was in 1943 and then again in 1970 to Morrison-Bowmore. 1997 it was completely renovated and refurbished. It is special because it uses excess heat from the distillation process to heat its greenhouses.
    Character: peaty, Sherry
    Status: active
  • Glen Grant

    History: Glen Grant was founded in 1840 by John Grant. 1897 Glen Grant No2 was founded directly across the road, later to be renamed Caperdonich. Glen Grant earned the title of best-selling Whisky in Italy in 1961 and still holds this record today. Since 2006 it belongs to Campari.
    Character: sherry, fruits
    Status: active
  • Glen Keith


  • Glen Mhor

    History: Glen Mhor ("Great Glen") was founded in 1892, sold to the Distiller Company Ltd. in 1972 and finally closed in 1983. Since then, it was knocked down to make way for a supermarket.
    Character: Chocolate, Caramel
    Status: knocked down
  • Glen Moray


  • Glen Ord


  • Glen Scotia


  • Glen Spey


  • Glenallachie


  • Glenburgie


  • Glencadam

    History: The Glencadam distillery was founded in 1825. It underwent, like most distilleries, a few changes in ownership during the 19th century and finally, in 1954, was bought by Hiram Walker who commissioned a complete renovation of the distillery in 1959. 2000 it was mothballed due to a surplus of production, but in 2003 Glencadam was bought by Angus Dundee plc who soon recommenced distilling.
    Character: fruity, tea
    Status: active
  • Glendronach

    History: At the spot of the Glendronach distillery, illegal distilling took place many years prior to its official founding date in 1826 - and only 10 years after that the distillery burned down completely. After the rebuild production ran undisturbed for many years until it was sold to Charles Grant, the son of William Grant, who owned Glenfiddich at the time. In 1960 the Grant family sold to William Teachers and Sons, who extended the distillery in 1966. In 2008 Glendronach was bought by the BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd.
    Character: lots of Sherry, honey, sweet
    Status: active
  • Glendullan

    History: Glendullan was founded in the last years of the 19th century, in 1898, in Dufftown. In 1962 it was completely refurbished, which now seems odd as a completely new Glendullan distillery with thrice the number of stills (6) was founded next door only 10 years later. Until 1985, both distilleries produced together and Glendullan of those years usually consisted of a vatting of malts from both distilleries. Reportedly, Glendullan was the favourite whisky of King Edward VII.
    Character: fresh, sweet, liquorice
    Status: active
  • Glenesk

    History: Glenesk was founded in 1897 in the town of Montrose under the name Highland Esk Distillery within the buildings of an old flax mill. As soon as 1899 it was sold for the first time, alongside with its first change of name to North Esk Distillery. During the first half of WWII the production was mothballed, but recommenced in 1938 under the name of Montrose Distillery - but Grain whisky was produced instead of Malt whisky. In 1964 Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. bought the distillery and changed the prodution back to Malt whisky - this time under the name of Hillside. 1980 the name was changed to Glenesk but nevertheless it was closed shortly thereafter, in 1985 and in 1992 the license was cancelled.
    Character: apples, wood, vanilla
    Status: closed
  • Glenfarclas

    History: Glenfarclas ("Valley of the Green Grass") was founded in 1836 by Robert Hay and was sold in 1865 to John Grant - in whose familiy's posession it has remained ever since. 1897 the distillery was complete refurbished and modernized; in 1960 and 1976 the number of stills was each time increased by two.
    Character: Sherry, coffee, chocolate
    Status: active
  • Glenfiddich

    History: Glenfiddich, the giant of Scotland's whisky industry with a production value of 10 million litres of pure alcohol each year from 29 stills, was founded in 1886 by William Grant and sons and has never seen a change in ownership since. ONe of the main reasons for the success of Glenfiddich might be its traingular bottle which makes it easily distinguishable amongst its competitors on the whisky shelf. In 1963 they pioneered marketing as a Single Malt which was unusual at the time as the sales of Blends far outnumbered those of Single Malt Whisky.
    Character: light, apples, honey
    Status: active
  • Glenglassaugh


  • Glengoyne

    History: Glengoyne (or "Glen Guin", meaning "Glen of the Wild Geese") was founded in 1833. The history of the distillery is much less dramatic than that of most other distilleries. Except for a few sales of the distillery and an extension in the year 1967, there were hardly any notable events. Nevertheless, Glenlochy is notable for drying its malt using only hot air instead of peat fires, which makes the whisky much softer than others.
    Character: fruity, malty
    Status: active
  • Glenkinchie

    History: Glenkinchie was founded in 1837 by John and George Rate, but had to close down again in 1853 and was converted by its new owners into a sawmill. In 1880 it changed ownership again and was again converted back into a distillery. In 1997 the visitor center opened, which also houses the "Museum of Malt Whisky Production".
    Character: fresh, sweet, complex
    Status: active
  • Glenleven


  • Glenlivet

    History: The Glenlivet distillery was founded in 1824. The production in this distillery ran until 1858, when it was moved to a newly built distillery, where it has remained to this day. In 1880, the distillery was granted the right to call its product "The Glenlivet" - which after a series of court orders now is its exclusive right. In 1953, they merged with Glen Grant and currently, Glenlivet belongs to Pernod Ricard.
    Character: fruity, peaches
    Status: active
  • Glenlochy

    History: Glenlochy was founded during the Whisky "Boom" of the late 19th century in 1898. Production was interrupted various times and, because none of its owners managed to get it into the winning zone, Glenlochy had to close down in 1983. The buildings are now used as office buildings.
    Character: malty, fruity, peaty
    Status: closed
  • Glenlossie


  • Glenmorangie

    History: Glenmorangie was founded in 1843 in the buildings of an old brewery near the even older Balblair distillery. 1887 Glenmorangie Distillery Co. Ltd was founded and sold to McDonald & Muir in 1918. In 1980 and 1990 respectively, the numbers of stills was doubled, making a current total of 8 and enabling Glenmorangie to produce 4 million litres of pure alcohol each year. In 2004 Glenmorangie was sold to Luis Vuitton Moet Hennessey.
    Character: vanilla, caramel, wood aromas
    Status: active
  • Glenrothes

    History: Glenrothes was founded in 1878 by W. Grant & Co. In 1887, they merged with Islay Distillery Co to create the Highland Distilleries Ld. In 1922, the distillery burned down completely; in 1963 and 1980 the new distillery was expanded. Now commanding a full 10 stills, the production capacity of Glenrothes is about 5.6 million litres of pure alcohol. Glenrothes is very famous amongst blenders; it is a main component of both the Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark Blends.
    Character: honey, vanilla, sherry
    Status: active
  • Glentauchers


  • Glenturret

    History: The first Glenturret distillery was founded as early as 1775 but the currently running one was not finished until 1959. Furthermore, it is the location of the "Famous Grouse Experience", a kind of whisky theme-park, because Glenturret is a major component of said blend.
    Character: oranges, ginger, herbs
    Status: active

  • Glenury Royal

    History: Glenury Royal was founded in 1825 by Captain Robert Barclay, a politician and sportsman, who rose to fame as the first man to run 1000 miles within 1000 hours, which later earned him entry into the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame. The distillery was sold a great number of times and was refurbished and expanded to 4 stills in 1966; but nevertheless had to close down in 1985 and was knocked down in 1992. Today, only a commemorative plaque at the base of the former chimney reminds of the whisky production taking place at this site.
    Character: tea, oranges, herbs
    Status: closed since 1985, knocked down in 1992
  • Hazelburn


  • Highland Park

    History: Although illegal distillation had been going on since 1790, Highland Park, the northernmost Scotch distillery in the world, was officially founded in 1798. It remaind within the Robertson family for many years until it was bought by James Grant of Glenlivet in 1895, who expanded it from 2 to 4 stills in 1898. 2006 the brand underwent a major remake with the introduction of a new design of packaging and bottles.
    Character: honey, oranges, caramel
    Status: active
  • Hillside


  • Imperial

    History: Imperial was founded in 1897 but had to close down just two years later in 1899. It was reopened in 1919, sold various times and finally expanded in 1965. Nevertheless, it was mothballed in 1998 and bought by Diageo in 2005, who have not reopened it since.
    Character: vanilla, slight bitterness, caramel
    Status: closed since 1998
  • Inchgower


  • Inchmurrin


  • Invergordon

    Single Grain Scotch Whisky
  • Inverleven


  • Isle of Jura


  • Kilchoman


  • Killyloch


  • Kinclaith


  • Knockando


  • Knockdhu


  • Ladyburn


  • Lagavulin


  • Laphroaig


  • Ledaig


  • Linkwood


  • Littlemill

    Littlemill Distillery , Region Lowland
    Produktionsstatus : geschlossen und Gebäude zerstört / closed

    Charakter und Geschmack : fruchtig, mild, süßlich, kein Rauch

    Geschichte : 1772 wurde die Littlemill Distillery gegründet und ist somit vermutlich
    die älteste schottische Distillery. 1992 wurde sie leider stillgelegt, andere Quellen sprechen von 1994, die Muttergesellschaft ging 1994 in Konkurs und die Gebäude wurden im Jahr 2004 durch ein Feuer entgültig und komplett zerstört. Heute sind Littlemill Abfüllungen gesuchte Sammlerstücke.
  • Loch Lomond


  • Lochside


  • Longmorn-Glenlivet


  • Longrow

    Longrow, distilled at Springbank Distillery
  • Macallan


  • Macduff


  • Mannochmore


  • Millburn


  • Miltonduff


  • Mortlach


  • Mosstowie


  • North Port-Brechin


  • Oban


  • Old Pulteney


  • Old Rosdhu


  • Pittyvaich


  • Port Charlotte


  • Port Ellen


  • Pride of Orkney


  • Rosebank


  • Royal Brackla


  • Royal Lochnagar


  • Scapa


  • Singleton


  • Speyburn


  • St. Magdalene


  • Springbank


  • Strathisla


  • Strathmill


  • Talisker


  • Tamdhu


  • Tamnavulin


  • Teaninich


  • The Speyside


  • Tobermory


  • Tomatin


  • Tomintoul


  • Tormore


  • Tullibardine


  • Vatted Malt


  • Wolfburn